Privacy Policy for BirdieSync ?

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
BirdieFan

Privacy Policy for BirdieSync ?

Post by BirdieFan »

Hi Birdie,

I was talking up BirdieSync to a friend in InfoSec because I was feeling clever about not having my entire address book in Google's cloud. He asked what guarantees I had that my solution is more trustworthy than Google and that my personal data is not used by BirdieSync.

I've looked the site over for a privacy policy or similar statement by BirdieSync that pertains to use and access of customer data. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
BirdieFan

BirdieFan

Re: Privacy Policy for BirdieSync ?

Post by BirdieFan »

Birdie, this is google's policy page for app developers:
https://play.google.com/about/developer ... olicy.html

Can you post a policy page for BirdieSync?

Thanks,
BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello BirdieFan,

User privacy has always been a high priority. To say things quicky, all the data synchronized with BirdieSync remains private. Contacts, events, tasks and mails are only exchanged between the devices you choose to synchronize and Thunderbird or Sunbird, through the local instance of BirdieSync you installed on the PC. Your data remains private.
I'll see how to make available a more complete privacy policy.
Birdy

BirdieFan

Post by BirdieFan »

Great! I appreciate the assurance, Birdie.
I understand that you're saying BirdieSync does replicate any user data from the phone for your purposes or those of any third party.

BF

BirdieFan

Post by BirdieFan »

Hey Birdie,

It's been a while...
Should we be nervous about the lack of reply to this thread?

BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello BirdieFan,

No reason to :) Simply the priority has been made on the next release of BirdieSync which will be available soon...
Your request will be fulfilled soon after.
Birdy

BirdieFan

Post by BirdieFan »

Hi Birdy,

I know it was a bumpy ride getting the latest version out, but now that it's out and you're requiring more money, can you clarify a couple things about your clients data and usage?

1) Contacts and Calendar data are not accessed by BirdieSync other than between the devices of the client. Is that correct?
2) Does BirdieSync maintain client usage data and if so, is that information shared/sold to outside entities.

Awaiting your reply before I decide to purchase the software again.

Regards,
BF

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello BirdieFan,

I didn't forget your request. But the release of the new version still requires a lot of time.
To answer your question very simply:
1) Contacts and Calendar data are not accessed by BirdieSync other than between the devices of the client. Is that correct?
Yes. Contacts, calendars, tasks and mails are only read to be synchronized between the user's mobile devices and Thunderbird. To be more precise, items are read by BirdieSync apps on mobile device or add-on in Thunderbird, transmitted to the local BirdieSync server (which is installed on the PC the user chose) and then transmitted again to other BirdieSync apps or add-ons required to synchronize the data in other mobile devices or Thunderbird. As a last precision, some data is extracted from the synchronized items to generate BirdieSync History in BirdieSync server which is stored locally. BirdieSync never transmits this data to a cloud server for instance. As an additional remark, if you see the mention of BirdieSync account on an Android device, it's only a alternative local account provided to store your contacts or events and again no synchronization is performed with the cloud.
2) Does BirdieSync maintain client usage data and if so, is that information shared/sold to outside entities.
BirdieSync keeps a list of its users only to manage licenses and possibly send mails to them. But as you may have noticed it is very rare. Client information remains private and is not communicated to any third-party. Of course, if you used PayPal to register, this service may keep the data you entered when you registered. Note that BirdieSync doesn't manage any credit card information and have absolutely no access to it, which remains PayPal domain. It maybe necessary though to communicate your email to services with a strong privacy policy that send mails by group and ensure a better mail delivery. But until now, such service has not been used.
Birdy