Birdiesync can't find profiles for portable thunder/sunbird

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
sidies

Birdiesync can't find profiles for portable thunder/sunbird

Post by sidies »

Hi, I use portable thunderbird and sunbird all the time. I have a portable copy of each on a USB flash drive, and I synchronise the entire folder for each app with a directory on my home PC. This works fine and means that I can have a full backup of all my emails and calendar everywhere I go.

I have installed birdiesync and activesync 4.5. When I try to select a thunderbird profile in birdiesync options, it doesn't offer me any profiles. Clicking "use current thunderbird" inserts the thunderbird directory for opening thunderbird during synchronisation, but nothing appears in the "profile" box. I have tried using the portable thunderbird option, but this doesn't recognise the drive on my hard disk on which I have installed portable thunderbird. I then tried to use the portable version on my USB drive. The USB drive itself was recognised and offered as an input option, but I have my data protected on an encrypted drive partitioned from the flash drive, and this encrypted drive was not recognised.

Is there any way I can manually enter the full address of the version of thunderbird that I want to synch?

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Presently BirdieSync doesn't offer the possibility to select a dedicated partition on the hard drive for portable Thunderbird. Sorry about it. I think it should be provided in a next release.

You might find a possible workaround in this thread.
Birdy

sidies

Brilliant. Thank you very much!

Post by sidies »

I am a computing novice, but even in my hands the workaround that you suggested in the link http://birdiesync.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197 works absolutely perfectly.
I already have a copy of thunderbird portable installed on my hard drive.
I installed the normal version of thunderbird, then ran the profile manager. (It took me an embarrassingly long time to work out that all I needed to do was click "Run" in the windows start menu then enter the text "thunderbird.exe -profilemanager".)
I then created a new profile and saved it to the "ThunderbirdPortable>Data>Profile" folder of my thunderbird portable version on my hard disk.
I opened thunderbird portable, selected the new profile from the birdiesync options, and clicked the "Use current thunderbird" option.
The next sync failed, but every sync since then has worked perfectly.

I also performed the exact same procedure for sunbird, which also worked perfectly.

This means I can now synchronise the same version of thunderbirdportable and sunbirdportable with my mobile and with a USB drive encrypted with TrueCrypt.

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful support.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Birdiesync can't find profiles for portable thunder/sunbird

Post by Birdy »

BirdieSync 1.6.6.0 now allows to easily use Portable Thunderbird on a hard drive volume. It's possible to select a hard drive volume as storage device in BirdieSync options.
Birdy