Is Skype borking my sync?

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
osh000

Is Skype borking my sync?

Post by osh000 »

Android 6.0 TB 60.5.0 BS 3.2.2.1

For some reason not all contacts are syncing from my phone to TB.
A little while ago Skype logos started showing up in my contacts next to the BirdieSync logo in 'Accounts' under the contact email field.
If a contact has the Skype logo (as well as the BS logo) it will not sync.

Is Skype to blame? How can I solve this?

if I try to edit this field, it says 'Not editable from this application', however the contact in question does not necessarily show up in my Skype contact list!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Is Skype borking my sync?

Post by Birdy »

Hello osh000,

On Android, contacts are stored in different accounts. Usually a different app manages each account. For instance, you may have a Phone account, a Google account, a Skype account, a BirdieSync account, etc.

When you look at a contact, you'll see a unique contact. But actually this contact may be the "merging" of contacts present in different accounts, but which have the same name or phone number for instance. You may find more information in BirdieSync help with menu "Help/Help..." in section "Configuration/Android accounts".

So if you look at a contact and you see several accounts, that may suggest that this contact is actually present in several accounts. In Android Contact app, it's usually possible to join/link or unjoin/unlink these contacts located in these different accounts.

I don't have the snapshot of you contact, but maybe your contact is present in Skype account and BirdieSync account.

BirdieSync doesn't synchronize the whole merged contact, but only a contact located in a specific account. But contacts present in Skype or WhatsApp accounts may not be interesting to synchronize if they have very few information (a single email or a unique phone number).

In your case, it would be necessary to check which contact data is present in each account (BirdieSync and Skype) in Android Contact app.

You may also see which contacts are located in each account on your Android device through BirdieSync Configuration.
While your Android device is connected, select Configuration view and then select an address book in the list: you should see the contacts present in this selected address book on the right.
(you may refer to BirdieSync help with menu "Help/Help..." in section "Configuration/Item view")

It may be possible to synchronize Skype contacts, but it would be necessary to synchronize them in an independent address book in Thunderbird.
Birdy

osh000

Post by osh000 »

Is wasn't Skype.

At some point somehow another instance of BS address book had been created on the phone.
I would like to know how? was it an update?
This new one appropriated the home icon and would not sync. I tried merging which only doubled the fields within the 'merged' address book.

Finally I just gave up and set up a new overwriting sync from TB, losing several addresses in the process.
Overall it was not an ideal experience.

Now sync works sort of...
except that apps like phone or messages are not communicating correctly with contacts.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

At some point somehow another instance of BS address book had been created on the phone.
I would like to know how? was it an update?
When you say "address book", do you mean a new contact group ? What was the name of this address book ?
This new one appropriated the home icon and would not sync.
When a Default account is selected in Address book configuration (the account where new contact groups would be created), usually "No group" is set as the Main address book (to be synchronized with Personal address book" in Thunderbird if it was also selected as Main).
The reason why it wouldn't sync is not clear at the moment. I would need the logs to investigate.

Could you build a log archive with BirdieSync menu "Help/Archive logs..." and send BirdieSyncLog.zip to support(at)birdiesync.com so that I check your current account configuration and see if it's possible to store your contacts in another local account ?
Thanks.
Birdy