Windows client Check for Update doesn't find 3.0.2.0

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
mikeduncan177

Windows client Check for Update doesn't find 3.0.2.0

Post by mikeduncan177 »

Hi Birdie,
I got notification about version 3.0.2.0 of the Windows client through my BirdieSync Forum subscription. I expected to be able to go to the Menu "Help | Check for Update" and see an offer to download the newest version, as I have done many times in the past. Unfortunately, I got the message "You already have the latest version". Checking "Help | About" showed that I was running 3.0.1.1. and not 3.0.2.0.

I had to go to the Download tab on the web site to get the latest version. Once I had downloaded from there, the install ran into a slight problem with Norton Security detecting it as potential malware. I decided to "risk" un-quarantining your setup file and then the installation completed successfully.

I have the Norton Security History to show what was being flagged. Norton does analyze these potential threats, but I thought you might want to review this, in case you have to talk to Norton Security personnel.

I am sending these pdf files as attachments in an e-mail to Support with the subject the same as this posting.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Windows client Check for Update doesn't find 3.0.2.0

Post by Birdy »

Hello Mike,

The mechanism which checks available updates has been modified to offer updates progressively to users. The last version you had (3.0.1.1) may not return that a new version is available, even if you check it manually. This will no longer be the case with new version 3.0.2.0 that you installed (if you manually check, a new version will be displayed if available). So this behavior is transitional.

Sometimes anti-virus detect false positive with BirdieSync installer. You can check the downloaded file with Virustotal which will check it with more than 50 antivirus.
https://www.virustotal.com/
I tested the 3.0.2.0 file downloaded from BirdieSync web site and no problem was found (with Symantec definition 20161008)
I also tested the installation dll and only Symantec reported a problem among the 55 antivirus. I reported the false positive to Symantec.

As a general recommendation, always check that you have the last version of the anti-virus and also the last version of the virus database definitions. Updating to the last versions usually solves the problem.
Birdy

mikeduncan177

Re: Windows client Check for Update doesn't find 3.0.2.0

Post by mikeduncan177 »

Thanks for your quick response. I do update Norton Security's malware definitions as quickly as possible, using their automatic LiveUpdate.

Just glad that you didn't find anything that needed fixing.

BTW, BirdieSync product is just great....every day I can rely on it to keep my calendar and contacts up to date, Thanks for the great product. I was very happy to renew my license for another year.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan