Thunderbird launch

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
ChristianRR

Thunderbird launch

Post by ChristianRR »

Hello,

You really need to fix the way Birdiesync starts Thunderbird.

First, there should be a switch in settings: "Automatically start Thunderbird: ON/OFF". That way, we can still have Birdiesync start at login, but it won't launch Thunderbird if we don't want it to. It then should start its synching schedule after we manually start TB. This is especially useful for two reasons:

1. I just got back to my laptop which I had left on overnight so that the Lenovo Battery Charging Threshold (at 80%) would be active. Now, this morning, I found the laptop running at 100% CPU, with no other program running than Thunderbird (latest version), asking for the password. It had been started from Birdiesync, and your green bar was moving, "preparing synchronization" or something like that. When I quit Thunderbird, the CPU went back to the normal 2-3%. The idea of my laptop wrongfully running at 100% all night does not please me.
2. You apparently still haven't solved the problem of links in emails not working when Thunderbird has been launched by Birdiesync ("Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window."). This is a serious bug; the message is misleading because there is nothing wrong with Firefox. Instead, the problem lies with the Birdiesync TB launch procedure, as proven by the fact that links in emails work again if we quit Thunderbird (instead of following the dialog box advice) and restart it manually.

Birdiesync is great: this one single problem is the only thing that prevents me from calling it "flawless", but it is a serious problem.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Thunderbird launch

Post by Birdy »

Hello Christian,

You can disable the automatic launching of Thunderbird. In BirdieSync server, click on "Configuration" view, select Thunderbird source in "Sources" column. Click on the gear button and select "Edit source". Uncheck "Launch Thunderbird when synchronization starts". This way, BirdieSync will no longer start Thunderbird.

Regarding Thunderbird running at 100%, I will check if I can reproduce the problem.

The problem regarding "Firefox is already running, but is not responding" problem" was not forgotten. There were other prioritary issues to be addressed first. But I"ll see if it's possible to offer a solution in an uncoming release.
Birdy

ChristianRR

Re: Thunderbird launch

Post by ChristianRR »

Great, thanks!
My bad, but I guess I can be forgiven, because this is really deep in the UI basement :oops: (I don't think I ever went there...)