PC can't find phone anymore

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Bytheseaside

PC can't find phone anymore

Post by Bytheseaside »

I'm using BS3. It was working fine, though I had an occasional problem. I have 2 WiFi points in my home: one upstairs is a Plusnet router, the other downstairs is a TP-Link unit. If I connected the Samsung phone via the downstairs WiFi, the Birdiesync connected & synced. If I connected the phone via the upstairs WiFi, Birdiesync wouldn't connect & syncing wouldn't start. The WiFi connection to the phone works properly in both locations otherwise: I can browse the web & email etc..
To put it another way: I could sit here by my computer & the Plusnet router, the phone shows as connected to a strong WiFi signal, but Birdiesync says there is no phone connected. Downstairs, it all worked fine & synced fine. The Plusnet firewall is OFF. I'm confused.

Now I'm even more confused because the downstairs connection is still working - the phone connects to the host as before, but now it won't sync! The PC window says "single source connected", though it lists the phone. (I have a picture of the Birdiesync PC window, but I can't see how to attach it.) The phone stays "Searching for host" via the upstairs wifi, & gets as far as "Connected to host" via the downstairs wifi, but now fails to be seen by Birdiesync on the PC. I haven't changed anything. Why has it stopped working?

Help please.

Bytheseaside

Re: PC can't find phone anymore

Post by Bytheseaside »

I tried again this morning & it's now working. I managed to sync yesterday but only connecting via the USB. I didn't try wifi again then. Maybe that woke it up, or maybe having the computer off overnight cured it...

It's even working via the upstairs wifi today - the first time for weeks! Computers can be very frustrating!!

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Bytheseaside,

Which option did you choose in BirdieSync Settings on the Android device to connect to BirdieSync server ? "Find BirdieSync server" ? The server hostname or IP address ?
Does BirdieSync server have 2 IP addresses ? (one for the router and one for the TP_Link unit)
(you may check it with BirdieSync server menu "Connection/Server address...")

When you have a connection problem, if not already done, could you try to directly enter the IP address of the BirdieSync server in BirdieSync app Settings (this to see if the problem comes from the "Find BirdieSync server" search, or of the hostname resolution).

If you restart BirdieSync server (menu File/Exit, then launch it again from Windows Start menu/All apps/BirdieSync/BirdieSync), does it help ?
Same question if you reboot (switch off an on) your router (Caution: it can change the IP address of your PC)

> The PC window says "single source connected", though it lists the phone

Which source was connected ? The phone or Thunderbird ? Or was it both ? (which would not be normal)
You may send the snapshot to support(at)birdiesync.com

If the status remains on "Connected to host", can you confirm that "BirdieSync 2.x" is not ticked in BirdieSync app Settings on your Phone.

Thanks.
Birdy

Bytheseaside

Post by Bytheseaside »

Thank you for your reply, Birdy.

My setting on the phone was originally the IP address, but for some time now it's been the hostname.
The Birdiesync server seems to just have one address.
I've just done a restart of Birdiesync - still says "single source connected". The single source seems to be the PC, as the phone hasn't joined in.

I just tapped the Birdiesync icon on the phone to make sure I got the words right. Up here via the router, it usually has been "searching for", followed by "connected to" the host, but doesn't find Birdiesync. Today, of course, it found everything & synced! The main Birdiesync PC window now says "Synchronization complete". Obviously the reason the phone won't always sync is not a continuing problem. Perhaps it'll never happen again. If it does, I'll send the screenshot of the PC window to you, but since it's working now I won't trouble you about it further.

However, after the sync, I am getting a conflict: it's a contact which involved a couple where the wife died, so I amended the address to be just the husband. The amended version appears both on the PC & the phone correctly. The conflict says it's the name including the wife, but I can't find it either on the phone or the PC, so I can't see how to remove it. The notification ends with: vnd.sec.contact.phone

There doesn't seem the be a way to delete the problem, so I keep getting the conflict. Can you help with that please?

Thank you

John

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

If you have a conflict, it means that the contact was considered as modified on both the PC and the phone. So BirdieSync doesn't know which version to keep (Thunderbird or Android)

Once you get the conflict, select "Conflicts" view in BirdieSync server on the PC, select the conflict in the list, then above the list on the right, click on the button with the validate/checkmark icon and select the source whose version you want to keep. It should synchronize again using the version you chose (Thunderbird or Android) as the reference to be synchronized on the other source.

If the difference mentions the "Display name", it may not necessarily be accessible on the Android device (it may be automatically generated by Android Contact provider, based on first name and last name for instance).

You may find more information in BirdieSync Help/Help, in section "Synchronization/Conflicts".
Birdy