How do I save configurations on Windows program?

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Tradewind25

How do I save configurations on Windows program?

Post by Tradewind25 »

Hi

My synchronisation strategy is that Thunderbird, on Windows 10, holds the master address book. Therefore when I sync my phone and tablet I wish BirdieSync to REPLACE the contacts on those devices with Thunderbird's address book. To do so I always have to change the configuration in BirdieSync.
Q: How can I save the configurations of my various devices so that my chosen strategy is also presented to me whwnever I fire up the program?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: How do I save configurations on Windows program?

Post by Birdy »

Hello Tradewind25,

By default, BirdieSync synchronization is symmetrical. A modification performed on the mobile device is replicated in Thunderbird and a modification in Thunderbird is replicated on the mobile device. Now, if you wish your Thunderbird address book to be the absolute reference, a "master address book", never modified by synchronization and that the address book on the phone and tablet are simple copies of this address book, then you must set your Thunderbird address book permission to Read Only in BirdieSync configuration. This way, each time you add, modify or delete a contact in Thunderbird, then the same will be done on your mobile devices. On the mobile device though, all operations on contacts will be reverted. Il you create a contact on the mobile device, it will then be deleted on the mobile device at next synchronization (and not created in Thunderbird), if you modify it, it will be reverted to the same state as in Thunderbird, and if you delete it, it will be created again from Thunderbird.

To set an address book permission to Read Only: select Configuration view, select your Thunderbird source in "Sources" column, select "Contacts" in "Contents" column, select your address book in the list, and above the address book list, click on the button with 2 vertical arrows and select "Set address book permission to Read Only".

You may find more information in BirdieSync Help (menu "Help/Help...") in section "Configuration/Permission".

If you only wanted to replace your contacts at the very first synchronization (and not at the next synchronizations), then you must set the synchronization mode of the Thunderbird address to "Replace address books in other sources with this address book". At next synchronization, the contacts of the address book on your mobile devices will be deleted and replaced with Thunderbird ones. After this, the synchronization mode will automatically switch to the classical synchronization mode and every creation, modification or deletion on the mobile device will then be replicated in Thunderbird (if the address book permission is set to Read Write).

To reset the synchronization of an address book and choose a synchronization mode: select Configuration view, select your Thunderbird source in "Sources" column, select "Contacts" in "Contents" column, select your address book in the list, and above the address book list, click on the button with the circular arrow and the point and select one of the "Replace..." option.

You may find more information in BirdieSync Help (menu "Help/Help...") in section "Configuration/Synchronization mode".

After you changed the configuration, it is always advised to ensure that the preview of synchronization operations (creations, modifications or deletions) is enabled so that you can check it suits what you wish.
To enable the preview of operations, use menu "File/Preview options", or the "Preview operations" icon on the right of the main synchronization progress bar (the button is colored if the preview is enabled).

Also ensure to have a recent backup of your data.

Let me know if you still have questions.
Birdy