Informing user when sync has conflicts

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
mikeduncan177

Informing user when sync has conflicts

Post by mikeduncan177 »

I came across this situation when a sync between my Thunderbird Calendar and my iPhone resulted in a conflict.

[/list][*]I had originally created an appointment and sync'd between the 2 devices.
[*]At a later date, I changed the date of the appointment on the iPhone calendar.
[*]When I started the sync from the iPhone BirdieSync app, I was watching the status line and it indicated that the sync was successful.
[*]At a later time I was looking at my Thunderbird Calendar for an unrelated reason, and I noticed that the appointment had not changed date.
[*]That is when I looked at the BirdieSync status window and realized there had been a conflict.
[*]I was able to resolve the conflict easily[/list]

I was surprised that the iPhone app's status did not alert me to the existence of a conflict. Very often I do not operate with the BirdieSync window open. When doing a sync from the iPhone, I watch the status for any issues.

Please investigate whether a conflict warning should have occurred.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Informing user when sync has conflicts

Post by Birdy »

Hello Mike,

Presently the synchronization status displayed on the iPhone matches the left part of the main status under the synchronization progress bar in BirdieSync server. So you simply know if the synchronization failed, was completed or successfully completed. But presently it is not mentioned on the mobile device if a failure or a conflict occurred. Note that as a workaround, if it is only mentioned "Synchronization completed" (without the "successfully"), it means a failure, a conflict or a non critical error occurred while synchronizing. I'll see if it's possible to add additional information in the status of the mobile device.
Birdy

mikeduncan177

Re: Informing user when sync has conflicts

Post by mikeduncan177 »

Thanks for telling me what to watch out for. It doesn't happen very often.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan