Can't Sync Google Calendars

If BirdieSync 3.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Chris Proud

Can't Sync Google Calendars

Post by Chris Proud »

I've just upgraded to Win10, Thunderbird 38.2, and BirdieSync 3.0 beta 23. Locally stored and ICS calendars sync to my Samsung S5 with no problems. Google calendars, however, universally do not sync, reporting a failure due to "unexpected error" for every event. Any suggestions?

Chris Proud

Re: Can't Sync Google Calendars

Post by Chris Proud »

Ok, after interpreting a previous post in French I realized the problem was with Provider for Google Calendar. I uninstalled the Provider add-on from Thunderbird, then added the Google calendars as CALDAV. Details at
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... r/reviews/
and
https://developers.google.com/google-ap ... dav_server

curehead

Post by curehead »

hi Chris,

ty very much! Been busy for a whole weekend trying to sync G-Cals.
Caldav is indeed the way to go.

Just some extra I wanted to share:

if you have a setuo like me (TB 38.xx) with calendars from different google-accounts. Be sure to add calendars in thunderbird (caldav) with the owner account of google. Even when I give account 2 all the rights from account 1 in google, using account 2 as the access acount (you know, in the popup "login google") it often fails and Birdiesync gives failures.

Greetings to all Birdies

Kjoere

Chris Proud

Post by Chris Proud »

Thanks Kjoere. I did indeed have trouble with a couple calendars repeatedly turning "off" until I'd go into Properties and turn back "on." At some point (can't remember exact sequence), the Google Login popped up, I entered my credentials, and all seems to be working since.

Chris

Chris Proud

Post by Chris Proud »

No, spoke too soon. I still have to occasionally turn my CALDAV calendars back on. Don't know why.

Chris

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello Chris and Kjoere,

If one of you still have problems with failures for a lot of events in the Google calendar (accessed though the Google Calendar Provider), could you please install latest version beta 25 (some specific traces were added in this build) and then after you get all the failures in the Google calendar, while Thunderbird remains connected (important), build a log archive with menu "Help/Archive logs..." and send BirdieSyncLog.zip to support(at)bidiesync.com to be analyzed.
Thanks.
Birdy

Chris Proud

Post by Chris Proud »

Hi Birdy,

I think there's a misunderstanding. We've uninstalled Provider for Google Calendar in favor of CALDAV within Thunderbird. It works well except for calendars mysteriously turning off in Thunderbird on occasion, requiring manually turning back on. I'm not much interested in going back to Provider for Google Calendar. Currently no issues with BirdieSync and CALDAV.

Chris

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

@Chris: I understood well that you had no problem in calDAV mode. But actually since it hasn't been possible to presently reproduce this problem with Google Calendar Provider, any (other) user which still has these failures may send its logs to support for analysis.
Birdy

curehead

Post by curehead »

Hello guys,

the autmatically turning off (or changing to read-only) is a google issue I think. When you want to sync too many events at once, it happens.

the "new" calendars i introduced too take over old ones (with more then 10K appointments) never have this problem.

greetings,
Kjoere.