Problem: Removing alerts iPhone - Lightning

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Aloyse

Problem: Removing alerts iPhone - Lightning

Post by Aloyse »

I've downloaded BirdieSync today and synced my iPhone calendar with an empty Lightning calendar, which worked without problem. I noticed that there was a series of events with alerts programmed that did not need those alerts. So I removed the alerts for the series on the iPhone, however after sync the alerts were still there in Lightning. I did some experiments with single appointments in case it was due to the series, but it's always the same problem: if I change or add the alert time on the iPhone, it's synchronized, if I set the alert to "none" the previous alert time is kept in Lightning. It's the same in the other direction, if I add or change an alert time to an event in Lightning, it's synchronized, if I set it to "none" in Lightning the alarm in the iPhone calendar stays the same.

This is my set-up:
PC: Windows 8.1
BirdieSync: 2.4.10.0
Thunderbird: 31.3.0
iPhone 5s IOS8.1.2 (12B440)

The direction of the sync is set as "both directions". A question: there are only 2 options in that menu: "both directions" and "pc overwrites mobile", why is there no option "mobile overwrites pc"?

Another remark: when I tried searching the forum, the search ignored the keywords "alert" and "calendar", which means that I got all the posts containing "iPhone", which makes the search completely useless for my problem.
Aloyse

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Problem: Removing alerts iPhone - Lightning

Post by Birdy »

Hello Aloyse,

I made some tests and could reproduce the problem:

If you create an event with an alarm on the iPhone (iOS 7.1.2), the alarm is properly synchronized.
If you modify the alarm of this iPhone event with a new value, the alarm is properly synchronized.
If you remove the alarm on the iPhone event, it is not synchronized,
It you add an alarm (after it was removed), it is not synchronized.
If you modify the name of the event, this time the adding or removing of the alarm is synchronized.

After investigation, it seems that iOS doesn't return the correct alarm to BirdieSync after an alarm is added or removed in Apple stock calendar app. So this problem seems more related to iOS than BirdieSync...

A possible workaround at the moment may be to modify another field in the iPhone event to force iOS to take into account the adding or removing of alarm.

An option "From mobile to PC" should be available in a next version of BirdieSync...
Birdy

Aloyse

Re: Problem: Removing alerts iPhone - Lightning

Post by Aloyse »

Sorry for the late answer, I've been away.

At work I sync my iPhone with Outlook through iTunes, I've tried changing and deleting alarms there and all the changes get passed along correctly. So I do not really understand this part of your answer
So this problem seems more related to iOS than BirdieSync...
To me it looks more like BirdieSync doesn't understand the data coming from iOS, since the same changes are passed on by iTunes to Outlook.
Aloyse