Samsung S Planner losing events in safe mode

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
gmt

Samsung S Planner losing events in safe mode

Post by gmt »

I use BirdieSync 2.4.8.0 plugin for Mozilla Thunderbird 24.5.0 on Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1 to synchronise events and contacts with a Samsung Galaxy S2 Model GT-I9100 Android 4.1.2 Kernel 3.0.31-1211311 Build JZO54K.I9100XWLSW . BirdieSync app version on Android is 2.3.10.2 . To the best of my knowledge, these are the latest versions available.
For the second time now, when the Android starts up in safe mode, the S Planner calendar lost all events related to the birdiesync account, even after restarting in normal mode. I could not find a way to recover the events other than re-synchronising the S Planner calendar with Thunderbird, after declaring it being an initial synchro for the mobile. As far as I can see, the contacts remained unharmed.
Any ideas?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Samsung S Planner losing events in safe mode

Post by Birdy »

Hello gmt,

Does the problem only occur when you restart in "safe mode" ?
You have no problem when you do a "normal" restart ?
After the restart, are calendars created by BirdieSync synchronization still present ?

On some Android versions (possibly customized by the manufacturer), BirdieSync account may be removed by Android operating system (with all its calendars) after a reboot (restart). So that may explain why events are considered as deleted at next synchronization.

If it also happens after a normal restart, which accounts are listed in BirdieSync app settings on Android in Event tab ?
It would then be necessary to manually create a calendar in one of this account, and then synchronize it with BirdieSync (a calendar with the same name, respecting lower and upper cases, must be selected in BirdieSync options in Thunderbird). This way, BirdieSync would no longer need to create the calendar itself in the default event account (usually BirdieSync account).
Birdy

gmt

Post by gmt »

Hello Birdy,

The problem does not occur with normal restarts.
The problem starts occurring when the device enters "safe mode", either by itself (which may happen when some app gets the OS in trouble, according to the android forums), or when I force it to start up into safe mode from the hardware button controls.
Before it entered safe mode, the calendar events are OK.
As soon as I am in safe mode, the birdiesync accounts' events are gone.
Then stopping and restarting in normal mode, the birdiesync accounts' events are still gone.
The only way to get the events from thunderbird back onto the mobile, is to declare it as an initial synchro operation.

In the BirdieSync app settings I have the BirdieSync account as default event account where calendars newly synchronized from Thunderbird will be created (the choice in the dropdown there is 'None' or 'BirdieSync'. The selection for accounts where calendars can be synchronized just has BirdieSync selected (com.callicia.birdiesync). The other accounts are: 'Phone', three 'gmail.com' accounts and 'My calendar' (LOCAL).

Should I create a new account for BirdieSync events?

Kind regards,
gmt

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Actually there are two possibilities.

Either you consider that you should not need to reboot your Android in safe mode very often. You keep BirdieSync as the event account to synchronize, and if one day you have to reboot your Android device in safe mode, then you RESET event synchronization in BirdieSync Activation tab and synchronize again your events (BirdieSync account is created again when BirdieSync app is restarted if the reboot deleted it).

Or you synchronize your calendars in another account on your Android device (like "My calendar" or a Google account), knowing that usually BirdieSync cannot create new calendars in these accounts. It means that you can only synchronize calendars which already exist in these accounts. And you have to create calendars manually in Thunderbird with identical names, respecting lower cases and upper cases, and select them to be synchronized in BirdieSync options in Thunderbird.
Note that you can also disable Google synchronization with the cloud in with Android menu Settings/Accounts & Sync and use this account to store your events.
Birdy