Deletions from Lightning not syncing

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
calvin-c

Deletions from Lightning not syncing

Post by calvin-c »

This problem is probably somewhere in my settings but so far I haven't been able to find it. I have numerous repetitive events in Lightning. Typically after an event happens I'll delete the occurrence in Lightning. The problem is that the occurrence doesn't get deleted in the Android calendar when I sync. Ideas?

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Deletions from Lightning not syncing

Post by Birdy »

Hello calvin-c,

I tried to reproduce the problem but didn't succeed. I created a daily event in Thunderbird and then deleted the second occurrence. Then I synchronized. The event was properly synchronized on the Android device with a deleted second occurrence.
Then I did the same with the third occurrence in Thunderbird and it was properly deleted on the Android device.

Do you use the stock Android Calendar app or another third-party calendar app ?
Would you have a simple scenario that I could try to reproduce ?
Thanks.
Birdy

calvin-c

Post by calvin-c »

I use the calendar app that came pre-installed on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Samsung could have modified or replaced it but I don't see any sign of them doing so (e.g. a different name than 'Calendar'). Right now I don't have a scenario any better than the one you unsuccessfully tried. There are several possibilities but they don't seem to cause the problem when I check them out. (For instance I have a couple of non-syncing calendars in Lightning to display events that are automatically displayed in the Android Calendar. A couple of times I've caught it that I've created an event in the wrong calendar, and corrected that. Typically I've caught that because the new event doesn't sync to Android-but that's not the problem here, just an indication that whatever the problem is it could be something I've done.)

Most of my repetitive events are monthly or weekly but I don't see why that would cause a difference. I may have some that don't quite fit the repetitive settings in Android-I remember one that occurred on the last Wednesday of each month, a timing allowed in Lightning but not in Android-but that's not the issue here, as far as I know. (I no longer attend that event.) That event, as best I recall, synced to Android as a one-time event. Perhaps these did so as well?

I'll do some more checking, setting up test events & seeing if their deletions get synced. If I can better define a scenario in which this occurs I'll let you know. If not then it's something I did in the past that I'm no longer doing & the solution is to delete & recreate all existing events. Thanks.

calvin-c

Post by calvin-c »

Sorry this has taken me so long to pin down but I finally found out how to reproduce the problem at will. It appears to only affect repetitive all day events. I've been using that for 'reminders' of things I need to do on specific days but not at specific times, such as paying bills. I've changed those to repetitive specific timed events (e.g. "pay bill at 8:00 am" rather than "pay bill today") and it's working. There's still a bug but I can work around it now that I know what's causing it. Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I tried to reproduce the problem with a daily event but still no success in reproducing the problem. I created a new daily event in Lightning and deleted 2 occurrences in Lightning. It was properly synchronized on the Android device.
I also created a daily event on the Android device and then synchronized it in Lightning. Then I deleted 2 occurrences in Lightning and the deletions were properly synchronized back to the Android device.
I am interested if you can identify the conditions where such a problem occurs so that I can try to reproduce it.
Birdy

jamesjogi08

Post by jamesjogi08 »

I don't see why that would cause a difference. I may have some that don't quite fit the repetitive settings in Android-I remember one that occurred on the last Wednesday of each month, a timing allowed in Lightning but not in Android-but that's not the issue here, as far as I know. (I no longer attend that event.) That event, as best I recall, synced to Android as a one-time event. Perhaps these did so as well?

Last edited by jamesjogi08 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calvin-c

Post by calvin-c »

Sorry for the delay, I apparently didn't get notified when you posted your reply, Birdy although I was notified when jamesjogi posted his. Yes, it still happens. You mentioned using a daily event to test this-did you mark it as an all day event? That appears to be the trigger. I used a weekly event for testing to remove the possibility of conflicts-I have no other events on Friday for the next three weeks so, in Lightning, I created an all day event that repeated each Friday for the next three weeks. Then I synced and the event appeared properly on Android.

Then I deleted the 1st occurrence of that event (Friday, Apr 17). Then I synced again-but that occurrence of the event still appeared on Android. It's still deleted in Thunderbird so it's not a matter of syncing the wrong way-the sync simply doesn't delete on Android when it's an all-day repetitive event. When I deleted all occurrences in T-Bird it did delete all occurrences on Android. I think I'll run another test to see if it deletes all occurrences when I delete them one at a time.

OK, it doesn't delete a repetitive all day event on Android when I delete all occurrences in Thunderbird but delete them one at a time. It does delete on Android when I delete them in Thunderbird choosing 'delete all occurrences'. Testing this left me with a 3-week repetitive event on Android that wasn't in T-Bird so I had to delete it manually on Android-and I noticed something that might give you a clue (it means nothing to me). When I deleted the 1st event I got the choices 'delete only this event' and 'delete all events in series'. I chose delete only this event (I've had some problems with accidentally deleting other events because I misunderstood the choice Android offered me). When I deleted the 2nd event however I got an additional choice 'delete this and all future events'. Why didn't that come up when I deleted the 1st event? Was it because syncing after deleting it in Lightning converted it to a stand-alone event in Android? Or is the difference meaningless?

Basically, until you're able to repeat this I don't see how you can fix it-and I'm ignoring it for now (other than to try & help if you want to continue working on it) because I found an acceptable work-around: don't create all-day repetitive events, give them a specific time. Thanks for your reply.