How to stop Lightning event deletion outside sync period

If BirdieSync 2.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's photo with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
mikeduncan177

How to stop Lightning event deletion outside sync period

Post by mikeduncan177 »

I am using Thunderbird/Lightning for my events calendar on my Windows 8.1 laptop and using Birdie Sync to sync with iOS 7 Calendar. I have set up a "Both Ways" sync so I can create/update calendar events on either device. Everything seemed to be working well until I went back to find "old" events when I was doing my tax return. Because I don't need to keep too far back on my iPhone, I had set the Sync Period to 3 months. I thought that this would reduce the amount of data held on the iPhone, but still preserve ALL the events in the Lightning Calendar. Well, I have found that any Lightning events further back than 3 months have been deleted. Is there a way to stop this deletion on the desktop side, so I can keep a historical record?

Regards, Mike Duncan.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: How to stop Lightning event deletion outside sync period

Post by Birdy »

Hello Mike,

I'll do tests regarding the synchronization period and the iPhone and see if can reproduce the problem. I'll get back to you soon.
Birdy

mikeduncan177

Post by mikeduncan177 »

Thanks for fast response. I will be very interested in what your testing finds.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

mikeduncan177

Post by mikeduncan177 »

I have been reviewing the BrdieSync Logs to see if I can understand what is happening. I have found log entries for the deletion of Desktop events which were outside the Sync Period, so that suggests that the program is doing it. However, testing today I have shown that Desktop Events outside the sync period are not being deleted on the desktop and are correctly removed from the Mobile calendar.
I have been using a Thunderbird/Lightning add-on (Automatic Export) to write an .ics file to my System Backup each night and luckily I kept enough back up history to restore approximately 50 events from the past year which should have been kept, but weren't. I will watch to see if these events get deleted again.
Since I found this problem, I reviewed BirdieSync Synchronization Options and did find one incorrect setting. Under Sync frequency, I have always had "Launch right after connection" checked, but had a frequency setting of 30 minutes instead of Manual. It is now set to Manual! The way I like to operate is to only connect the Mobile for Sync once or twice a day manually and I disconnect immediately the sync is completed. Not sure if this would make a difference, but I wanted you to have all the information.
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I tried to reproduce the problem but didn't succeed. An event created 3 weeks ago on the mobile device while the synchronization period was set to 2 weeks was synchronized to Thunderbird, then deleted on the iPhone but remained in Thunderbird.
Would it be possible to send me the logs where the deleted events are mentioned ?
First, transfer the mobile device log to the desktop with "Help/Transfer mobile device log" while your mobile is connected.
Then build the log archive BirdieSyncLog.zip with BirdieSync menu "Help/Archive logs..." and send it to support(at)birdiesync.com.
Thanks.

If you set the synchronization to manual and select the option "Launch right after connection", then the synchronization will be launched as soon as you connect BirdieSync but will only be run again if you manually press the green synchronization button in BirdieSync main window on the PC.
Birdy

mikeduncan177

Post by mikeduncan177 »

I sent you the Log Archive to support(at)birdiesync.com
Regards, Mike
Michael Duncan