Backwards compatibility

If you dream about having BirdieSync casting your horoscope, this is the place to ask for it...
kater

Backwards compatibility

Post by kater »

I recently had to deal with the problem of different versions between the Desktop and my phone. That is, I had Thunderbird 3.1 and BirdieSync 2.3.3.3, but my phone updated its Birdiesync version and I could no longer sync my contacts. The result was that I was forced to dl the latest BirdieSync version (2.3.5.1) as this would match my phone's version AND Thunderbird 6.0.
I had to undergo the whole compatibility thing with my TB addons and only then could I do my work. :x
The request is:
Could you please have newer BirdieSync versions have backwards compatibility with older versions of Thunderbird, or is this too much to ask?

Thanks,
Constantin

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Backwards compatibility

Post by Birdy »

Hello Constantin,

Actually it is not normal that you could no longer synchronize your contacts. It shouldn't have been necessary to update to BirdieSync 2.3.5.1. As mentioned in the release notes, some efforts were made to deliver a new version (2.3.3.3) still compatible with the last version of Android available on the market (2.3.4.1) so that users can still use Thunderbird 3.1 if they wish to. So if you have a problem synchronizing BirdieSync desktop version 2.3.3.3 with Android 2.3.4.1, it will be necessary to investigate on this problem.
Birdy

kater

Re: Backwards compatibility

Post by kater »

Well, only after I installed TB6 (and went through all the problems with my addons no longer working...) I installed the latest version of BirdieSync and only then could I synchronize my contacts with my phone. I wish I could repeat the problem for you, but I am afraid of disturbing TB6 and BirdieSync because then I would have to go all over the installations once again.
I would be happy if you had time to look into it and let me know if you came up with something.

Kind regards,
Constantin