Bluetooth Won't Connect

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
jrs

Bluetooth Won't Connect

Post by jrs »

I am a non-geek idiot when it comes to computers, so please bear with my (probably) stupid request for help...

I purchased a Bluetooth Dongle for my laptop hoping to be able to sync my PDA (an older HP Ipaq 1940) via bluetooth instead of the USB cable. No joy!

I do not have Active Sync installed on the laptop, I have used Birdie Sync successfully to sync my Pocket Outlook 2003 on the PDA with Thunderbird/Lightning on the laptop for the last 18 months (yay for Birdie Sync!!). I am running Windows Vista Basic and that comes with the dreaded Windows Mobile Device Centre.

Although the devices can "see" each other, I cannot connect using the WMDC. Most of the help forums on the internet don't refer to WMDC. I have tried everything I can think of to allow the devices to connect, but no joy. When I try and connect on the PDA, (by tapping New>Connect!) the only option available is to "explore a bluetooth device" in which case it says "connecting" but does not connect. In fact the "connecting" lasts indefinitely until i remove the bluetooth dongle. The other options available ("connect to the internet", "join a personal network" "partner with a cell phone" "Active Sync via bluetooth" or "Browse files on a remote device") simply come up with the error message "Service discovery was unsuccessful". The details pane tells me that the requested service is not running on this device. Please make sure the service is enabled on the device or select another one to continue.

I've tried altering the options on the Bluetooth Manager on the laptop (via the control panel) but no luck there either. The Sync Centre doesn't even allow me to set up a new partnership.

I realise I am a dummy, but would appreciate any ideas?

Thanks!

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth Won't Connect

Post by Birdy »

Hello jrs,

Bluetooth connections with ActiveSync/WMDC can be tricky to set up...
Could you tell me which operating system you have on your mobile device ? Is it Pocket PC 2003 ?
Thanks.
Birdy

jrs

Post by jrs »

Hi thanks for trying to help. Yes, it is Pocket PC 2003

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

You may try that:
In the Windows Mobile Device Center:
Mobile Device Settings/Connection settings/Allow connections to one of the following:
COM4 (or maybe another port)
(choosing Bluetooth in this menu may only work with Windows Mobile 5.0+...)
Birdy

jrs

Post by jrs »

OK I tried that. Still won't work. I selected COM 6 as this was the incoming port. It looked as though it connected, however, the PDA was never recognised as connected in WMDC.

Any other ideas?

Lyriker

Post by Lyriker »

Test it with comport 5 ;) Thats possible the serial port to transcieve the data

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello samiya,

Sorry it will be difficult for me to help you on that subject. A Bluetooth dongle should (in theory) work with any device (if they support the same Bluetooth versions) but I don't know if Dell put some restrictions regarding its keyboard and mouse. So I would rather suggest you to search on the net to see if other users had the same problem as you with your keyboard and mouse or to contact Dell support.
Birdy