Contact Synchro issues (Iphone>Thunderbird)

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
leova

Contact Synchro issues (Iphone>Thunderbird)

Post by leova »

Hello all,
Help will be welcome, but first, congratulations to Birdie Sync community for this help fool software.
I have synchronized Iphone 4s contacts towards Thunderbirds, but 2 issues remained;
1 - email addresses included into the Iphone are not exported into Thunderbird contact list.
2 - name, first name are not "automatically" exported (pasted) into "displayed name" of Thunderbird.

Do you have ideas how to deal with?

Thanks a lot. :D

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Contact Synchro issues (Iphone>Thunderbird)

Post by Birdy »

Hello leova,

There are 2 FAQ entries that may answer the questions you have:

Contact emails are not synchronized from the iPhone to Thunderbird
How to get "First name Last name" or "Last name, First name" in synchronized contact Display name

Let me know if you need more help.

Note: this thread will be moved to the 2.x Support section.
Birdy

leova

Post by leova »

Hello Birdy,
Thanks for the help.
I think my issue is partially the one described below ;
If you chose to synchronize your contacts on your iPhone with an Exchange server, then your contact emails are no longer associated with a label on your iPhone. You cannot select a specific label if you create a new contact on your iPhone or edit it. So in this case, emails cannot be synchronized by BirdieSync (emails will remain blank in Thunderbird). In order to be able to choose the label of your emails on your iPhone and synchronize them with BirdieSync, you must open Settings/Mails, Contacts, Calendars/Contacts/Default account" and select "On My iPhone"). Which also means that your new contacts will not be synchronized with your Exchange server.

I say partially because ;
- yes, emails remain blank in Thunderbird
- no, I'm not using exchange server
> Based on this, I have changed "default account" to Icloud - synchronized - no progress (either on email or alternatives email) :|
> did I do the proper action ??
> In addition I have saved everything in Icloud, but no progress also.....

In parallel Birdie synch on line support proposed the followings ;
Thunderbird contacts have a category field. But this field is not accessible normally in the Graphical User Interface and you need a specific extension to be able to access to this field: MoreFunctionsForAddressBook for instance:
https://nic-nac-project.org/~kaosmos/morecols-en.html
The contact with a given category will then be synchronized in the matching group on your mobile device.

>> unfortunatly the software seems lot anymore compliant with latest thunderbird version :|

Anyhow, reading several posts, it seems that if several fields (with different labels) are used on Iphone (my case) to collect email addresses, Thunderbird will take into account none of them. I understand that Kaosmos software should deal with this issue, but unfortunatly not running for me.

SO, do you have other ideas or directions (I imagine that for sure there is a solution).

Thanks again for your help (I hope my issue is clear enough).
regards

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

When you edit a contact on your iPhone, can you choose the label of your emails ? Only Home and Work emails are synchronized by BirdieSync. Emails with other labels (or no label) are not synchronized.
Can you choose "On My iPhone" as "default account" ?
When you create a new contact on your iPhone, can you choose the label of your emails ? If yes, what happen if you synchronize your contact with a Home email address ?
Also ensure to have a recent backup of your data before doing any attempt.

MoreFunctionsForAddressBook should work with Thunderbird 17.0 (I have it running with this version). Did you try to install this extension ?

Note that this software is useful to manage categories (among other things) in Thunderbird. But I don't think it's related to your problem of emails.
BirdieSync synchronize mails on the iPhone which have a Home or Work label. That means that it doesn't synchronize emails with other labels (custom ones for instance). But there is no notion of label in Thunderbird (there are simply 2 emails in a Thunderbird contact: the main email address and an alternative one) and so BirdieSync must map 2 labels (Home and Work) to the 2 email address present in Thunderbird.
Birdy

leova

Post by leova »

Hello Birdy,

Thanks for these detailed post - I think you reach the point and root cause of my issue.
Look below the reply to your questions ;
When you edit a contact on your iPhone, can you choose the label of your emails ? No at all - all my contact email have a label "email" and if a single contact get 2 emails both of them have the label email without any distinction (like Home email or Work email). For info, 90% of my contacts list were previously transfer from a Blackberry towards the Iphone (without any issue until our point).
Only Home and Work emails are synchronized by BirdieSync. Emails with other labels (or no label) are not synchronized.Aie AIe AIe !!! :twisted:
Can you choose "On My iPhone" as "default account" ? On this point I'm a bit lost - On the Iphone, I run with my profession account. I have tried to create one "Icloud" but not bringing anything at the end.
When you create a new contact on your iPhone, can you choose the label of your emails ? Not at all - I have no choice - Only "email" without any label like Work or Home (it exist for the phone number, but not for the email I try to create on the Iphone).If yes, what happen if you synchronize your contact with a Home email address ?
Also ensure to have a recent backup of your data before doing any attempt.

MoreFunctionsForAddressBook should work with Thunderbird 17.0 (I have it running with this version). Did you try to install this extension ?

Note that this software is useful to manage categories (among other things) in Thunderbird. But I don't think it's related to your problem of emails.
BirdieSync synchronize mails on the iPhone which have a Home or Work label. That means that it doesn't synchronize emails with other labels (custom ones for instance). But there is no notion of label in Thunderbird (there are simply 2 emails in a Thunderbird contact: the main email address and an alternative one) and so BirdieSync must map 2 labels (Home and Work) to the 2 email address present in Thunderbird. It's clear and it's what I understood from your previous advise with the link to the assistance. Does it mean that I have no option??? I'm going to try 17.0 and keep you posted

Thanks again for your reactivity and support.
Keep in touch