Favorite list cleaned with syncronisation

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
biotech

Favorite list cleaned with syncronisation

Post by biotech »

I use birdiesync 2 beta-s on my HTC HD2, winmobile 6.5 english.
Syncronisation of contacts and events works perfectly well with tb 3.0 /lightning 1.0b2pre, however, every time I synchronise, the people favourite entries are deleted.
Any way how to avoid this?
thanks,
biotech

billywill

Re: Favorite list cleaned with syncronisation

Post by billywill »

Hi B

What are "people favourite" ?
I have a HTC Touch HD and don't have these. I do have speed dials set to the keypad, and these stay configured despite repeated syncs.

ciao BillyWill

biotech

Post by biotech »

Hello BillyWill,
when I start from the HD2 home screen (sense surface), it is the first screen when you get to your contacts, called "people" on the HD2. This first screen is called "people" and on which you can add up to 15 contacts called favourites. On the bottom you can switch to the full alphabetical contact list.
It is these 15 entries which get wiped each time I synchronise.
I hope this helps you.
biotech

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Hello biotech,

What do you mean by "each time I synchronise" ? Are you talking about a "full synchronization" (when you have to choose "Replace/Combine") or a normal synchronization (after you had done a full synchronization and then chosen your favorite contacts) ?
Thanks.
Birdy

biotech

Post by biotech »

Hello Birdy,
the synchronisation is done for contacts, events, and tasks, not for e-mails.
THe setting is to transfer from desktop to mobile (keep desktop item), not wise versa. When contact synchronisation starts, all contacts on the favourite places disappear.
THis happens, independent if any contacts have to be modified on the mobile end. As I read the information given at any synchronisation, all contacts are compared and only those in need of modification will be modified. However, even if the contact(s) which I put on the favourite place(s) is not to be modified, it gets deleted from this special place. It still is present in the alphabetical "all people" list.
I did not come across your "Replace/Combine" choice yet, so I hope I could help you with my answer.
Biotech

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

> I did not come across your "Replace/Combine" choice yet
Unless there is a bug, the very first synchronization, you are asked if you want to replace all your items on the mobile device with desktop ones, or if you want to transfer all the mobile device items on the desktop and vice versa. In this case, you could loose your favorite contacts.

If the contact is then not modified on the mobile device, I don't see why you would loose your favorite contacts.
So what I would try:
- While your mobile device is connected, add your already created contact to the favorite list: is a synchronization immediately launched with BirdieSync ? Is this contact synchronized ? (check the history) If yes, was this favorite contact immediately removed from the list ?
- If the contact is still present in the favorite list, reconnect your mobile device: is your contact synchronized again ? (check the history for instance)

In which software do you manage your favorite contacts ?
Birdy

biotech

Post by biotech »

Hello Birdy,

If I try to add a favourite to this special list it is within a second removed again when the mobile is connected to the PC.
Thunderbird 3 does not have such a favourite list.
Message in history: "Item modified on the mobile device whose desktop folder is synchronized "From PC to mobile device".
action: Modification
Device folder: no entry
Desktop folder: Kontakte (name of my contact list in TB3)

Do we get closer to a solution?
Biotech

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

It seems that when you add your contact to your favorite list, it modifies the contact and so ask for the synchronization. Since your contact is synchronized "From PC to mobile device" and so is considered as "read only" on the mobile device, it is reverted back to its original state. Which could explain why it is no longer considered as a favorite.

But what is weird is that even if the synchronization reverts it to its original state, it should not modify any other property of the contact than the one synchronized (first name, last name, etc. and I'm not aware of a particular property to set it a "favorite" contact). I don't know how your contact is marked "favorite". Could you tell me which software is used to manage your favorite contacts ?
Thanks.
Birdy