BirdieSync problems on Windows 7

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
curt

BirdieSync problems on Windows 7

Post by curt »

Hi,

I just migrated from one computer with XP to a new one with Windows 7. The Birdiesync install seemed to go OK, using Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 and Birdiesync 1.7.2.0.

Two problems however, one an annoyance and the other quite severe:

Using Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1.6965 and an HP iPAQ phone with Windows Pocket PC 5.0, the sync often times does not start until I replace the phone in its USB cradle several times.

The real problem however is that the sync time runs for several hours (3 or more). After about 3 hours, either the computer or I go to sleep and I think it never completes successfully. Calendar entries on the phone are not in Lightning on the PC and many calendar entries are duplicated on the phone. I think the tasks move from the PC to the phone. Contacts were duplicated on the PC one time, but not the other. Perhaps those never synced. I was not syncing e-mail.

Basically, it just doesn't work properly at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: BirdieSync problems on Windows 7

Post by Birdy »

Hello curt,

If your mobile device is a Windows Mobile 5.0 device, you may try to use a tool like usbswitch to switch from RNDIS mode to "serial USB" mode as described in this thread.

If you have duplicated entries, you may try "BirdieSync/Tools/Remove duplicates...".

If synchronization takes so much time, it may be because there are specific errors while synchronizing (with events for instance). I would need the logs to analyze your problems. After having closed Thunderbird/Sunbird, disconnected, reconnected your mobile device and waited for the end of the synchronization (or in the middle if it takes so much time), could you send your logs with the Thunderbird/Sunbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." to support(at)birdiesync.com ?
Thanks.
Birdy

curt

Post by curt »

Thanks for the suggestions, however it is now not syncing at all, and often not even connecting, though it sometimes does if I shut down WMDC and remove and replace the phone into the cradle. Toggling between the two modes does not seem to have any effect.

Any other ideas?

Curt

curt

Post by curt »

Correction, it did just now sync for perhaps a seconds, but no data was exchanged. WMDC says it synced a few minutes ago, but it didn't, and clicking the little sync button in WMDC doesn't seem to have any effect.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

I would suggest you to remain in serial mode if possible (not in RNDIS). Generally there is less problem in this mode (you may have to reboot your mobile device with a soft reset after switching the mode).
Then try to get a successful connection (at least in the WMDC). When you get it and after having waited for a few minutes, generate a log archive with Thunderbird menu "Tools/BirdieSync/Archive logs..." and send it to support(at)birdiesync.com. Also check that BirdieSync categories of items are still selected in WMDC options (cards, events, tasks or mails).
Last question, do you have a rough idea of the number of items that you synchronized last time when it lasted 3 hours ?
Thanks.
Birdy

curt

Post by curt »

I upgraded to the latest version of Thunderbird, Lighting and Birdiesync and every thing worked better than ever! The info on the synchronization is much more complete now and is quite useful.

Birdy
Site Admin

Post by Birdy »

Glad you like the new version of BirdieSync. :wink:
Birdy