Like it. Just a few points...

If BirdieSync 1.x constantly replaces your girlfriend's phone number with your mother's one, this forum is for you...
Jupiter

Like it. Just a few points...

Post by Jupiter »

Hi Birdie

I've tried BirdieSync for a few days now and I quite like it. It did just erase everything following some "can't sync drafts" errors which I failed to properly note down, but other than that it's been well behaved.

One of the key features for me is the SMS sync. It works very well. But it would be excellent to be able to exclude the 'fake' email account from the "get all messages" command. I think Tb3 has this feature, but I didn't like Tb3 so plan on sticking with Tb2 for a while yet. Lots of my old extensions don't work on Tb3 and I've done fine without it so far.

It would also be brilliant if all messages that arrive in the SMS account could be auto-backed up somewhere. So that an extra copy is simply placed in another folder somewhere. This would mean I could delete files from the Inbox and Sent folders in Tb and sync to clear out the phone, but retain the messages. It would also mean I wouldn't have to worry about my messages getting erased again. I did have a recent back-up, but I still lost a few days worth. Maybe this could be done by triggering the Messages Filters for "on sync" as well as their current "on arrive".

I haven't yet had an MMS to sync, but it would be good if these were handled too. I think I saw this request a few times on the forums already.

The only other thing I'd suggest is a "panic" button for when something's gone wrong and you want to sync but you don't want anything erased on either device. So many sync programs are missing this.

Thanks. I'll probably buy it before the end of the month. Does it come with upgrades?

Good work by the way. I've tried em all, and this is in a league of it's own (well, shared with MyPhoneExplorer, but that can't do Win Mobile)

Cheers

Birdy
Site Admin

Re: Like it. Just a few points...

Post by Birdy »

I've tried BirdieSync for a few days now and I quite like it. It did just erase everything following some "can't sync drafts" errors which I failed to properly note down, but other than that it's been well behaved.
What do you mean exactly by "It did just erase everything" ? Did you loose only mails ? All your mails ? Was it the first synchronization ? Could you detail the circumstances ?
One of the key features for me is the SMS sync. It works very well. But it would be excellent to be able to exclude the 'fake' email account from the "get all messages" command.
For BirdieSync what do you mean by "to exclude the 'fake' email account from the "get all messages" command" ?
It would also be brilliant if all messages that arrive in the SMS account could be auto-backed up somewhere. So that an extra copy is simply placed in another folder somewhere. This would mean I could delete files from the Inbox and Sent folders in Tb and sync to clear out the phone, but retain the messages.
Actually if you choose a synchronization period for mails, it will only keep the last SMS on the mobile device (for instance only the last 2 weeks) while all the SMS will remain in Thunderbird.
Note also that on the desktop, mails are not really deleted by the synchronization but are moved in the trash folder for more security.
I haven't yet had an MMS to sync, but it would be good if these were handled too.
It would be necessary to investigate on MMS message format which seems more complex than SMS one.
The only other thing I'd suggest is a "panic" button for when something's gone wrong and you want to sync but you don't want anything erased on either device. So many sync programs are missing this.
In BirdieSync 2.0 there is a full control on the synchronization: if you press the "Stop" synchronization button, it stops the synchronization quickly. Which may be not the case with ActiveSync in BirdieSync 1.x. Also in BirdieSync 2.0, a confirmation window is displayed in case the number of deleted items reach a configurable threshold.
Thanks. I'll probably buy it before the end of the month. Does it come with upgrades?
Minor upgrades should be free.
Good work by the way. I've tried em all, and this is in a league of it's own (well, shared with MyPhoneExplorer, but that can't do Win Mobile)
Thanks. :wink:
Birdy